So here I am, back at school. It's strange coming back to a quiet (for the most part) apartment building after being at home for a month. I really like living at school but to be honest, sometimes I miss the constant noise and the blessing of not having to figure out what I'm doing for dinner :). Break was great, I got to spend a lot of time with my friend Kari who I didn't get to talk to much throughout the fall semester, I got to go on a camping trip with Ethan's family for a few days and got to know them all a little better, did some wedding planning- even got a dress, and of COURSE I got to spent time celebrating Christmas and hanging out with my family.
Classes have started and so far my schedule is extremely free, a HUGE change from last semester and I know that in the future having this much free time will be greatly missed- it's a blessing and I need to be soaking it in while it's here. I've been loving my classes so far- there's just something about my early childhood classes that is so interesting to me, little ones hold such a big place in my heart! Next week I'm hoping to start my Preschool placement. I'm thrilled that I got my first choice in schools and I'm so excited get in there and start working!
Since being back at school I've had a lot of time alone in the quiet,and a significant amount of time to reflect and spend time in the Word. When I'm home on breaks I always tend to struggle in finding distraction-less time (and quiet) to just be in the Word (believe me I *know* the time exists when I'm home I just never seem to use that time wisely) so this week has been so SO wonderful.
Sunday nights I am a part of a small bible study group the group was smaller than usual this week, but I'm so glad I went. Earlier in the week I had begun reflecting on the verse Romans 12:2
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will."
During the week I really spent time thinking about what it means to be transformed and renewed by Christ and how that transformation helps us decipher what God's will is. At bible study, the leader brought up Romans 12:2 in discussion. He talked about how this verse isn't saying that the changes of being different from this world aren't by our own power and conscious effort but stem from seeking God and letting Him consume and transform our lives from the inside out, it's His power at work within us doing the changing. What really stuck out to me was when the leader began to share that the word "approve" in this verse in Greek is actually a metal working term. When I got back I looked it up and found that it means "to test, examine, prove, scrutinize (to see whether a thing is genuine or not), as metals." Isn't that interesting? In 1 Peter it says that the tests and trials that we go through are refining our faith to prove its genuine-ness and this verse is referring to a similar concept. God is renewing, transforming, and refining us into the people He's created us to be in order to glorify Himself.
Church on Sunday morning also ran with a similar theme...kind of. The message really wasn't anything that I hadn't heard before but sometimes the truths that we hear often are the ones we *need* to be hearing over and over and over. The pastor spoke about how our relationship with Christ is what our life is an outpouring of. For example, the more we are attempting to being filled with the things of this world, the more we will reflect what we are filling ourselves with. When we are inwardly seeking God, desiring Him and spending time in the Word, He begins to transform us from the inside out. The pastor used the example of a 'cracked pot'. He said that when you put a light under a clay pot it's impossible to see the light beneath it, but when the clay is slowly chipped away the light begins to shine through. The message really made me start to think more deeply about the situations that I let harden my heart and distract me from my relationship with Christ. There are places in my heart where the feelings of being wronged and betrayed have taken deep root and where healing and transforming *needs* to be done. They are obstacles in my path to holiness I'm praying and seeking God for His help in clearing them away.
I'll end with this verse:
"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5
No comments:
Post a Comment