June 12, 2011

Baby Sister's Graduating

Tomorrow night my baby sister will graduate from high school. It's crazy how quickly time goes, I remember the day she came home from the hospital- how excited I was to have a real baby to play with instead of my dolls.



I remember being incredibly eager to help out in any way that my parents would would let me, their four year old, help. I gave her bottles, read her stories, sang songs with her and dressed her up in some crazy things. A year or so later once I started school my eagerness of wanting to help her in any way changed to wanting to teach her everything I knew. I begged my teachers for their extra worksheets and set up a classroom in my basement and nearly every afternoon and weekend from kindergarten up through elementary school my sister, some neighborhood kids and I would play school. She will forever be my first student.




As time went on our friendship as sisters has changed, as I'm sure most siblings do. There were times when we were super close and other times where we were more distant and got on each other's nerves quite easily. When I left for college I left a girl who was entering 9th grade, who was still trying to figure out who she was and was as goofy as most any other 14 year old is. Each time I have come home for break I found she had matured in ways that she didn't really even notice. These past few times especially I have come home to a beautiful, strong, and bubbly young woman. This summer she is not at all the same as she was the summer before I left for college. It's crazy how much of a difference 4 years makes in a person's life.



I'm so blessed to have her as a sister and it is so incredibly exciting to be able to have seen her grow up and be apart of her life. It's been beyond cool to have conversations about the bible and God and it is immensely encouraging how eager she is to build a firm relationship with Christ. She's one amazing girl, she is the funniest, prettiest, most amazing girl I know and I can't wait to see what God has in store for her in her college years and beyond. Rachel, I love you.

1 comment: